La locquacité des Libéraux: / 'Fin ! Liberal Convention 2006


Donc maintenant le congé du Congrès :

Et quelle nouvelle vie qui commence !

So: Stéphane Dion. Appropriate that this "Maple lys" (and yes, I coined that word myself!) image here is courtesy of the Scoutalog: Dubbed the 'Little-engine-that-could' campaigner, the 'Anyone-but-Ignatieff' contender, the 'Dark horse' in the eleventh hour, even 'le Québécois-contre-le-Québec.' While there are some delegates who are still not sure how to etch his earnest face into the organisational slots of their minds, the hearts of many others have reportedly outpacked this Liberal Everyman's promotional material*.

I'm still trying to follow the wave of events of yesterday, despite being attached to my TV for a great part of it. And despite my only prior attachment to the Liberal platform being the fact that they are currently the Opposition, I found myself emotionally carried up with it all. I'd heard Dion speak publically before about his candidacy, but never with a lot of publicity behind it, and never before with a lot of serious endorsement. Still, he'd always been a really nice guy. People seemed to know what to expect from him when he spoke. It seemed this was the general concensus: He was that trustworthy enough candidate who kinda blended in with the background, but when he spoke, said ideas you kinda liked. Ideas about sustainability and equity, about access and about environment. His leading man Ignatieff touted a less soft-spoken style, a call to "do what's right" in the ranks; but did this seem to leave people feeling reminiscent of a leadership style already spoken for in the south? Couldn't help but feel open to Dion, as this unsuspecting man who speaks quietly and whose deliberation "about serious things" shows up on his face before he speaks. And the immediacy with which the outed candidates threw on green scarves following the sunsets of their own campaigns: You have to respect his trajet before ever seeing him up there.

Donc, en avant: Avancez, les Libéraux ! Makes me even want to go dye my own scarf green.

* = would that I could post a picture of that backpack! Sadly, I was told they were gone within hours. And to date, this is one thing that GoogleTM googles not.

http://stephanedion.ca
www.liberal.ca
http://stephanedion.ca/?q=fr/News-061102DontCountOut

Commentaires